Wednesday, October 26, 2005

New and Exclusive!


I've just read on The Pulse that my new DC exclusive agreement has finally been announced, so I guess I'm safe to talk about it (I actually signed a month ago).

I'd sworn I was going to stay a free agent once my previous exclusive expired, but by that point I already had a hefty chunk of new work lined up at DC - including my Big Shiny New DCU Project That I'm Not Allowed To Talk About Yet - so I figured, why not? DC have gone out of their way to keep me happy; I'm already doing the work; I don't have time for anything else on the side anyway; and renewing my exclusive contract meant I could wangle myself a nice pay rise. No-brainer!

The only thing that stings a little is not being able to do any more Marvel work beyond my PUNISHER CHRISTMAS SPECIAL - which is, after all, the entire point of an exclusive (although I'm still free to write for games and movies).

Mark Millar lobbied hard for me to follow him on WOLVERINE (cheers Mark!), but the Powers That Be wouldn't go for it. So they invited me to pitch a certain other character - someone I'd pay them to let me write - but they didn't go for that either. They were very welcoming and enthusiastic, but the project they did offer just didn't click with me. DC were putting a lot more on the table, both project- and money-wise, so I just thought fuck it, why not... ?

Anyway, here's the official press release:

WRITER ANDY DIGGLE RENEWS HIS EXCLUSIVE AGREEMENT WITH DC COMICS

Andy Diggle, writer of Vertigo's THE LOSERS, the DCU miniseries ADAM STRANGE, and the WildStorm miniseries SILENT DRAGON, has extended his exclusive agreement with DC Comics by one year.

"DC has been good to me, and the opportunity to play with some of their shiniest toys was too good to pass up," says Diggle. "I'm having fun, so why stop now?"

"Andy's sharp, smart and suspenseful writing on THE LOSERS gave the series the well-deserved reputation as the thinking man's action book," says Karen Berger, VP - Executive Editor, Vertigo. "We're delighted that Andy has signed with us for another year, and we look forward to working with him on some new and exciting projects."

Some of Diggle's work may be found in these collected editions, all available for reorder:

* ADAM STRANGE: PLANET HEIST TP (JUN050355)
* THE LOSERS: ANTE UP TP (DEC030316)
* THE LOSERS: DOUBLE DOWN TP (SEP040391)
* THE LOSERS: TRIFECTA TP (MAR050484)
* SWAMP THING: BAD SEED TP (OCT040365)

Also, THE LOSERS: CLOSE QUARTERS TP (SEP050310) is available for advance reorder and is scheduled to arrive in stores on November 9.

No comments: