Thursday, October 13, 2005

Catching Up

Blimey, has it really been a month since I last blogged? Apologies - deadlines. I've been struggling to keep my head above water, but now that I've finally clawed my way to the top of the hill there's light at the end of the tunnel. Or something.

Feels good to finally be crossing some projects off the To Do list. I've finished my Punisher one-shot for Marvel and the final issue of Silent Dragon, and I've only two more issues of The Losers left to write. I've also just completed the first issue of my Big Shiny New DCU Project That I'm Not Allowed To Talk About Yet, which was an absolute hoot to write and I can't wait to get started on the rest.

Plus I've some more DC-related news which I'm waiting for them to announce, otherwise you'd be the first to know. COME ON DC, SPILL THE BEANS!

It feels like time to start simplifying my life, so it'll be one project at a time for me once The Losers wraps. It'll be bliss to just concentrate on consecutive issues of my Big Shiny New DCU Project That I'm Not Allowed To Talk About Yet instead of jumping between Losers for Jock, Losers for Colin Wilson, Silent Dragon and Punisher like a rabbit in a minefield. There's only so many plates I can keep spinning at once, y'know... ?

The question is, what should I write next, after my Big Shiny New DCU Project That I'm Not Allowed To Talk About Yet? I don't have anything definite lined up for next year, and at the moment I'm quite happy to keep it that way. DC and Wildstorm have offered me some high-profile relaunches, but none of them really sounds like my kind of fun. And if it's not fun, why bother?

I'd quite like to do another creator-owned mini, but nobody buys 'em, and I've been toiling away in the Nobody Buys 'Em ghetto for long enough. I guess I'd probably sell more if I wrote some of those navel-gazing, hand-wringing, "My Tights, My Burden!" spandex continuity misery-fests where everyone stands around and WHINES. They seem to be all the rage these days, but... frankly I'm not sure I could live with myself.

When did superhero comics stop being fun?

I tried to convince Dark Horse to let me do a retro "Han And Chewie Smuggle Shit And Get Into Scrapes With The Empire" caper, but I could never get a clear answer out of them. Not even a clear No. Same with my Aliens pitch - it's like pissing down a well with those guys. Oh well. Maybe I'll just wait for the license to lapse and do it myself.

Hmm, I wonder how much the Indiana Jones comic license would cost. Now that would be fun...

No comments: