Saturday, August 06, 2005

Punishing Schedules


Now that my DC Comics exclusive contract has come to an end, I'm doing a Punisher Christmas Special for Marvel Knights. I just wrote the first nine pages yesterday, and I'm happy to report that I haven't had this much fun on a script for a long, long time. There's something about writing a completely stone-hearted, irredeemable, psychopathic fuck like Frank Castle that just brightens up your whole day.

The story's not as out-and-out comedic as some of Garth's later Marvel Knights stuff, but it's nowhere near as dark as his wonderful Max stuff either. Somewhere in between, I guess. It's a 32-page one shot, illustrated by Kyle Hotz, who did The Hood with Brian K. Vaughn.

Of course, if I was smart, I'd have waited until I'd finished writing The Losers and Silent Dragon before taking on any new work. But clearly I'm not smart. As it is, I find myself in the unenviable position of writing three different scripts simultaneously, feeding five-page chunks to Jock, Leinil and Kyle in rotation. As a working practice, I really wouldn't recommend it. Still, all three projects should be wrapped up within the next couple of months, at which point I'll be able to concentrate all of my time and effort into--

Oh wait, that hasn't been announced yet, has it?

No comments: